Live-in caregivers are individuals who are qualified to provide care for children, elderly persons or persons with disabilities in private homes without supervision. Live-in caregivers must live in the private home where they work in Canada.

You must meet certain requirements to be eligible for the Live-In Caregiver Program in Canada. You will need:

A job confirmation letter from a Canadian employer

Your employer must apply to Human Resources and Social Development Canada (HRSDC) to have their suggested job offer reviewed and receive a positive job confirmation letter from HRSDC before hiring you. HRSDC will review the job duties, working conditions, suggested pay and so on to be sure that the job offer meets provincial labour standards and that there are not enough Canadians or permanent residents available to work as live-in caregivers in Canada. You will need a copy of this confirmation letter when you apply for a work permit.

A written contract with your future employer

The written contract will ensure there is a fair working arrangement between you and your employer. It explains clearly the responsibilities you both have in your work arrangement.

You must live in Canada in the home of the person for whom you will provide care. In the contract, you and your employer agree on duties, hours of work, salary and benefits. The contract may also describe what legal responsibilities your employer has toward you. Citizenship and Immigration Canada will review the contract and make sure your employer’s job offer is genuine.

You need the contract as part of your application. A sample contract appears below. Your contract does not have to look like this, but you will get some ideas on how it might look and what it should contain.

Successful completion of Canadian secondary school education

You must have successfully completed the equivalent of Canadian high school education (secondary school). Because of the differences in school systems across Canada, it is not possible to give a precise number of years. In most provinces, it takes 12 years of schooling to obtain a Canadian high school diploma. The immigration officer assessing your application will let you know what is needed.

At least six months’ training, or at least one year of full-time paid work experience in the past three years

To claim work experience, you need to have worked for one year, including at least six months of continuous employment for the same employer in a field or occupation similar to what you will do as a live-in caregiver. This experience must have been within the three years immediately before the day on which you make an application for a work permit as a caregiver.

To claim training, it must be full-time training in a classroom setting. Areas of study could be early childhood education, geriatric care, pediatric nursing or first aid.

Good knowledge of English or French

You must be able to speak, read and understand either English or French so you can function on your own in your employer’s home. For example, you must be able to call emergency services if they are needed, and to understand labels on medication. You will be unsupervised for most of the day and may have to communicate with someone outside the home. You can also read and understand your rights and obligations if you can function in English or French.

A work permit before you enter Canada