If you are a temporary foreign worker or a foreign student who graduated in Canada, you often have the qualities to make a successful transition from temporary to permanent residence.

You must meet these minimum requirements to apply for permanent residence under the Canadian Experience Class. You must:

- Plan to live outside the province of Quebec

- be either:
    1. a temporary foreign worker with at least two years of full-time (or equivalent) skilled work experience in Canada, or
    2. a foreign graduate from a Canadian post-secondary institution with at least one year of full-time (or equivalent) skilled work experience in Canada

- have gained your experience in Canada with the proper work or study authorization
- apply while working in Canada – or – within one year of leaving your job in Canada

According to the Canadian National Occupational Classification (NOC), skilled work experience means:
- Skill Type 0 (managerial occupations) or
- Skill Level A (professional occupations) or
- Skill Level B (technical occupations and skilled trades)

Your application will be assessed on two requirements if you apply as a temporary foreign worker:
- your work experience and
- your ability in English or French.

If you apply as a graduate of a Canadian post-secondary educational institution with Canadian work experience, it will be assessed using the above requirements, as well as:
- your education.